Monday, October 21, 2013

Craftsy Class Review: The Wilton Method Piped Flowers

Today's Craftsy review is written by guest blogger Sarah Wall Gale, who owns Citrus Spice Bakery in Syracuse, Utah. Like her facebook page at www.facebook.com/CitrusSpiceBakery, and read her blog at www.citrusspicebakery.blogspot.com

Wilton Method Piped Flowers

I bought this class as a present for my 14 year old niece, who has gotten interested in baking and decorating cakes after seeing what I do. Her mom got her a pack of tips and bags, and she and I watched it together.

The main thing that bugs me about Wilton classes, both live and now online, is the marketing of their tools embedded within the instruction. But, of course, selling tools is their main business. My niece really loved the class, and thought being able to make royal icing flowers ahead of time and then placing them on a cake was a really cool thing.

The class did show a lot of flowers - more than what you learn in the equivalent live class, so that was nice. The class even showed a couple of flowers that I had not made before. Some of the Wilton flowers are just plain ugly, though... The "bachelor buttons," "Pom Pom flowers," and sweet peas I just can't see ever using on a cake.

The instructor messed up making flowers several times, and these mistakes were left in and not edited out, so she would have to say, "oops, let me show that again.." It wasn't very professional, like they just shot the class in one take in order to be as economical as possible.

I chose this class for my niece and not the first one on basic buttercream, because Wilton's "buttercream" is beyond disgusting, and so I had her watch the free Modern Buttercream class instead.

I would recommend this class to people who are total cake beginners, and who just want to decorate for fun. For people who want to be serious decorators, I recommend the free Modern Buttercream and Basic Fondant Techniques classes, and also Clean and Simple Cake Design, and Piping Buttercream Borders.


Thanks to Sarah for taking the time to review this class!


Click here for my Craftsy pattern shop, which has a bunch of freebies in it: A Cake To Remember On Craftsy


Kara Buntin owns A Cake To Remember LLC,  online cake supplies at  www.acaketoremember.com and www.acaketoremember.etsy.com

No comments: