Thursday, October 24, 2013

DAB-- Another Not-New Thing

I saw some ads for some weird stuff called Dab, so I looked into it. The videos show someone slowly spreading out the DAB product like a thick icing, pressing it into a mold, and then removing it and showing off how fabulous it is.

Well, the implication with this stuff is that it's something new and different, but I know that if you can eat it, it's probably just some variation on ingredients that everyone uses already. Considering that I'm really cheap, I'm also not going to buy any of it to test it out, so I just started thinking about it.

The basic idea is that you want to have a product that is somewhat spreadable, but isn't sticky. If it was sticky like sugarveil, it wouldn't come out of the mold so easily. So that means that you'd need something like a gumpaste, but also something that would be able to be spread out. Maybe a gumpaste that had been thinned out enough to be more malleable, but not too wet.

So out came the gumpaste and the crisco, and I kneaded enough crisco into the paste to make it soft but not so soft that it wouldn't hold its shape. I know that gumpaste will dry out eventually even with crisco added to it, and that crisco will make it less sticky, so trying that made sense.

Well looky what happened...I used a snowflake mold that I had bought a while ago. When I try to press gumpaste into the mold with my fingers it's pretty much impossible to get it into the teeny stick parts on the snowflakes, so I could only use about half of the cavitites in the mold.


I pressed the crisco'ed gumpaste into the cavity, the started in the middle of the mold with my spatula.


Pressing the spatula flat against the surface of the mold, I went from the center out and slowly pressed and "spread" the gumpaste into the cavity.

I then went back and did the other side, from the center out, to maintain the shape. If I tried to do it all the way across it messed up this particular shape. You might be able to do one side to the other for certain things, but for shapes like this starting from the center and going out worked well.


After that I popped the snowflake out to see what it looked like with no other attention. It was fine, and the "spreadable" gumpaste was a success in making these skinny types of snowflakes that I hadn't been able to make before.
If I had pressed the extra gumpaste that was left on the edges of the mold the little stick parts of the snowflake would have been cleaner, so feel free to clean it up by rubbing the back of the mold before you remove the item you're molding.



Kara Buntin owns A Cake To Remember LLC,  online cake supplies at  www.acaketoremember.com and www.acaketoremember.etsy.com

3 comments:

Sarah said...

That's really cool!

Eva Farragher said...

I've done this for years with fine moulds, including CelCake moulds. Didn't know I was being revolutionary! I should've 'invented' it ages ago :-/

Kara Buntin said...

Eva, soon someone will "invent" a class on how to do it and will sell it to people for $60.