Thursday, December 26, 2013

Video: How To Make Wafer Paper Leaves

Since I've been experimenting with wafer paper over the past couple of weeks I've been looking for information online, and there isn't a lot. I've been making some videos to add to the small collection online, and I did this one to show a couple of ways to make wafer paper leaves.

 
Wafer paper is great to use for leaves because it's thin, and the paper gives you a really delicate product. The only drawback is the time that it takes to dry, but if you have a lot of veiners you can do a bunch ahead of time and store them until you need them.

I find that it gives you a better look if you paint the color on instead of dipping the leaves, since that gives you a flat color and might result in splotchy areas. Painting the color directly onto the leaf gives you the option of adding more than one color per leaf and lets you make sure that you cover the whole leaf.



https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6oqnu25i4j8


Kara Buntin owns A Cake To Remember LLC,  online cake supplies at  www.acaketoremember.com and www.acaketoremember.etsy.com

6 comments:

Eva Farragher said...

Cool video, Kara. When you say wafer paper, do you mean that rice paper wafer you use when making nougat and other confectionery?
I started playing around with rice paper wafer sheets to make butterflies some time ago, but put it aside as I was too busy, but I'll have to take it out and do some more experiments after seeing your video :-)

Kara Buntin said...

Yes, rice paper, wafer paper, the stuff they print the photos on to put on cakes, it's actually made from potato starch. I think there's an actual rice paper that's used for crafts, which wouldn't be what this was, or the rice wrappers for some Asian foods. I don't think that works the same way but I've been tempted to go seek some out and mess with that too.

Miss Tori said...

I've some rice paper that I used a couple weeks ago for spring rolls. I'm tempted to give them a try with making some leaves, not that I need them, but to contribute to the science of cake decorating! lol

Kara, did you also watch the two videos from CakeFu on making leaves/branches? This is a really cool and alternate way of making decorations.

Kara Buntin said...

I haven't seen any cakefu videos, but if it's leaves and branches I bet it's the same technique Lisa Berczel uses that's the only thing online you can find about wafer paper. I think it was on the chef rubber website and a few people have done things based on it.

Incidentally, whoever named cakefu chose a really unfortunate name. When I see it I think "cake-Eff you." I can't be the only one.

Loving Traditions Cakery LLC said...

How do you get the actual shapes of the leafs? What are you using to cut them out?


Kara Buntin said...

I finally found a use for the Cricut and used that to cut out the leaves
.