Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Facebook's Review Star System Stinks and How To Disable It.

I was poking around on facebook last week, and I clicked on something (don't know what) only to have the star review system appear before my eyes.

This was a long list of businesses and a list of stars, with no place for a comment or a name. So I gave a few businesses 5 stars, ignored some that I don't like, and clicked out of it. Then I started thinking about the fact that I was just able to click on stars to rate people without any identification, explanation or justification.

Soon after that, I started hearing from other cake businesses that they had people post bad star ratings anonymously, and that some people had left bad reviews who weren't actually their customers or who were vindictive people they knew. And here we go again, another rating system online that can be totally exploited and isn't reliable in any way, shape or form.

I'd always assumed that when I set my page up I had disabled the ability for people to rate my business because my page doesn't show the star ratings on it. But there's nothing in the page settings to tell you how to do that. It took some advice from other businesses and a search through the facbeook help pages to find out two ways to get rid of this stinky system.

First option, change your business page category to something other than a business. The reviews system is only active for businesses, so if you put that you're something other than a business it won't show up.

Easier than that, however, is to just not put your address down. The explanation I found on the help pages  is that if there isn't an address that facebook places can pick up and identify, the reviews don't show up. This is why I'd never seen it on my page...Since I work from home I always put "by appointment only" for my street address, so facebook doesn't recognize that as an address. Because there's no address, there are no stars or review system on my page.

So get rid of the stars, they stink. I could have just gone down the list that popped up and given everyone 1 star for no reason. They would have ended up with a bad rating showing on their page and no reason for it. Not a good thing.


Kara Buntin owns A Cake To Remember LLC,  online cake supplies at  www.acaketoremember.com and www.acaketoremember.etsy.com

2 comments:

Scott Russell said...

This has been a confusing topic for me lately as well.

I work from home, have "by appointment only" with no physical address listed. Yet on the FB app for mobile, the review option is available.

I am not a fan of yet another online ratings system that is indisputable, and one which we cannot, with due diligence, delete unwarranted low reviews.

I'll be changing my business page category today...

Kara Buntin said...

ooh, good to know! Thanks for adding that!