Monday, January 27, 2014

How To Make Wafer Paper Flower Petals

Apparently wafer paper is trendy right now...Before I get started, let me say that this isn't the only way to make veined wafer paper flower petals. This is a simple, low effort method and it's really easy, but it's not the only way to do it. And I didn't "invent" it, it's pretty easy to figure out and I know that other people have made veined petals out of wafer paper before. So now that we have that clear, let's get started!

For this flower I'm making peony petals, so they need to be large and ruffly. I used some wafer paper petals that I cut out freehand using scissors. They don't have to be perfect at all, peony petals are pretty irregular and all different sizes, so just go look up a picture of some peony petal gumpaste cutters so you have an idea of what you're looking for.

You'll need a few different sizes of petals for each flower, but this is something that you can do ahead of time and just store until it's time to assemble the flower. So if you want to do one size at a time then store them that will work.

Start with the petals, a bunch of silicone veiners (I used parrot tulip veiners and a veining mat that I made so that I could do a bunch at once), a spray bottle with vodka in it, and a foam brush or rubber gloves.

 


I have to add that I have a spray bottle with water, and you could use that just as easily, but vodka dries faster. My kids are also highly amused that I have a spray bottle that says "vodka" on it, but you do need to know the difference between that and the water bottle, so it's practical!

Next, take the wafer paper petals and put them on the veining mats, being careful not to touch them to each other. If they touch, they'll stick when they get wet.
Now spray the petals with the vodka, not too much, but you do need to get them wet. They'll absorb the liquid so don't soak them, just spray once then wait to see if they absorb enough to get wet all over. If they don't spray them lightly again.

At this point I had been pressing the paper into the veiners with the rubber gloves, but as I was doing it this time I picked up a foam brush that was sitting there, and it turns out that it doesn't stick to the wet wafer paper. It worked better than using the gloves, to tell the truth. Press the brush into the veins to adhere the wafer paper into them.


Okay...Now you have a bunch of petals that are pressed into the veiners and need to dry. So go away and leave them alone. Or you can use a heat lamp to speed it up, but they'll be fine on their own.

Oh yeah, if you want to add some light color now, or before when you wet the petals to begin with, you can use a spray bottle with colored vodka or water, and spray the petals to give them a tint.

 

Go away and let the petals dry...When they're ready they'll peel themselves off of the silicone veiners. If they're still stuck just be patient, they'll get there. In the photo below, the one on the left is ready and the one on the right is still a little wet.


When the petals are all dry, you'll have a bunch of shaped, veined loose petals. The ones on the bottom of the photo below have the pink spray on them, see how it's just a hint of color? Very subtle.

You can store these in an airtight container now. Just toss them in and save them until you need them. Make a few every day and store them up until you need them.


On Wednesday, I'll do a non-wired flower using these. Super simple. Over the next couple of weeks I'll do more on this trendy topic. If you didn't see the article last week about one method to wire the petals, here's the link. http://www.acaketorememberva.blogspot.com/2014/01/wired-wafer-paper-petals-method-number.html


Kara Buntin owns A Cake To Remember LLC,  online cake supplies at  www.acaketoremember.com and www.acaketoremember.etsy.com

4 comments:

Stephanie Dover said...

I love your veining mat that you made, do you have a tutorial on how you made it?

Kara Buntin said...

I just took some of the amazing mold putty and made a big mat with it, then pressed the tulip veiner into it all over to make the shapes. If you get a box of the putty at a local craft store and use the whole thing you'll be able to make one. Just work fast, it has a relatively fast cure time!

Maria Galtsova said...

I used to think that only gum glue can be put on the leaves. Which side of the paper do you spray the grainy or the smooth one?

Kara Buntin said...

I spray the smooth side, but the whole petal should be soaked through.