Monday, March 24, 2014

Craftsy Class Review: Perfect Pizza At Home

Perfect Pizza At Home
This class made me hungry, which means that it was good. It was taught by Peter Reinhart, who also did the artisan breads class, another good one.

AND IT'S A FREE CLASS! That's always good, because even if you don't have time to make bread at home, you can definitely make pizza dough. It's fast and easy and far better to eat than a frozen pizza. It's also a "gateway drug" because once you eat homemade pizza dough you'll realize that homemade bread would probably not be as hard as you thought, and then you're hooked!

The class went over a few different types of doughs, an easy method to prep it, and a few different sauces, toppings and marinades. Yum yum yum! It showed how to bake the pizza on a stone in your home oven, and now I want a pizza stone. If you don't have one he gives you some other options to use, so you stone-less people don't worry, you won't be left out.

I'd say it was well worth the price, but since it was a free class that would be insulting. It was well worth watching, how's that?

My final review:
Skill Level: Beginner
Equipment You Have To Have: cookie sheet or pizza stone, pizza peel if you're fancy.
Sleep-Inducing Level: It was pretty short, and he's so engaging when he teaches I didn't have much trouble staying awake.
What It Assumes You Already Know: Not a lot.
Unnecessary Difficulty Level Of Methods Demonstrated: Nothing other than having the equipment the you might not have. You can improvise and get good results, though.
Annoying Host Habits: Nothing, he knows what he's talking about and is a good teacher. I'd love to take a class with him in person, and if he was annoying I wouldn't say that.
Level of Helpful Hints Learned: Just the basics, but this will make you want to go make pizza, which is what I'm doing right after I finish this review.

Go here for the class: Perfect Pizza At Home


Kara Buntin owns A Cake To Remember LLC,  online cake supplies at  www.acaketoremember.com and www.acaketoremember.etsy.com

2 comments:

Sarah said...

I grabbed this class and watched it today! Thanks for letting us know about it. The recipes are extremely similar to what I've developed myself, actually! I do an herb oil pizza with homemade mozzarella cheese and homemade ricotta cheese doll oped on after cooking. Soooo delicious!

Eva Farragher said...

I've always made my own pizza dough, but I'll still probably grab this one to watch.

My pizzas have gone to a new level since I installed my new oven. They were awesome, now they are out of this world! New oven has a setting perfect for pizzas - you need heat from the bottom, and a bit of fan assist ;-)

One thing I can recommend - you don't need to buy a fancy shmancy pizza stone (although I also have always used these) - if you can get hold of a big heavy (unglazed) terracotta tile, it will work just as good, if not better.

I am a bread tragic - we even make our own sourdough...our levain starter is over 8 years old now!