Friday, April 4, 2014

Display Cakes And How I Have No Plan.

When I make display cakes I usually cover them in the fondant, then I put them on the table and think about them for a few days (or weeks) before decorating them. I rarely know exactly what I'm going to do before I do them, and if I do have an idea it usually ends up changing partway through.

This might not work for everyone, but it's good for my "process." (That sounds really pretentious but as long as I realize that it's okay, right?) I'm pretty freeform in terms of sketches (I don't do them) and I tend to like the more spontaneous designs better than somethng I've planned out.

This cake started out as gold in my mind's eye. and it ended up green. I don't remember why, it just went in that direction. The separators between the tiers were going to be gold, but that's so typical these days I didn't want to do that. I think that my default color is green (I'm wearing a green shirt right now, and sitting in my green living room) so it headed that way and I went with it.



This next cake had to be all white because it's going to a party rental shop that will be using it in different arrangements with different linens etc. The cake needs to coordinate with a lot of different colors, so white it is.

Since all-white cakes are fairly monotonous visually, I wanted to go with a little texture on it, but I didn't want to go too ruffly because I've done so many of the ruffle cakes. I used some lace molds and a rhinestone border mold that I cut into strips and applied them in a design that was a combination of traditional and contemporary. I decided to leave it on the minimal side since I usually end up doing the opposite.

 
I think that I'll go back and add some pearl dust to it, since the rhinestones would look good with some shine to them. And I can't help myself.
 
And I have three more display cakes to do. Two are for other rental companies but I might go crazy and add some beige on those.
 
And here's a video showing how I put the display cakes together: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZJQWRW-3ms
 
The molds that I used on this cake are available in my online shop at www.etsy.com/shop/acaketoremember
 
Kara Buntin owns A Cake To Remember LLC,  online cake supplies at  www.acaketoremember.com and www.acaketoremember.etsy.com

No comments: