Thursday, August 7, 2014

5 Reasons Why I Don't Participate In Facebook Cake Groups

There are plenty of groups for cake decorating on facebook, and you might participate in one or more of them. I had joined a few of them, but deleted my memberships after a while for various reasons. Here are a few that you might want to consider:

1. They're a total time suck. You get onto facebook to check your business page, and half an hour later you find yourself wallowing through posts about stuff you're not involved in. That's half an hour that you could have been spending doing something productive.

2. They really don't contribute much to your life. Enough said, see reason number 1.

3. They're not really about cakes/Middle School never ends. There was one group I joined (and quit) that was supposedly an open marketplace or something along those lines. It was actually a way for the person who started the group to sell her cake supplies at inflated prices. No thanks.
 
     Another fairly popular group claims to be a place where people can get feedback or whatever, but it's basically a way for the three people who run it to be the mean girls of middle school again. If you're on their side that's perfect for you, but anyone who says something one of them doesn't like is ganged up on and berated. I never posted much there, but after figuring out their caste system I hit delete.

4. They contributed nothing to my business. I tend to not start posts on cake forums, but I'll go answer people's questions when I take a break from working during the day. I like answering questions but I just tend to not ask for the opinions of random strangers. I'll do my own research but I wasn't getting anything from the groups other than watching other people argue and letting them suck me into their drama. As far as cake goes, that wasn't a productive use of my time. (See reason number 1.)

5. I get enough interaction on my business page. People send me messages on my business page on a daily basis, asking about this or that technique, suggesting a question of the day, etc etc. And there are enough posts on there to give me something to read when I take a 5-minute break from working. My page has become a little community of its own, and I don't feel the need to join other communities at this point. Maybe if I had a lot more free time, but I just don't have time for that. (See reason number 1.)


The only cake group I belong to on facebook isn't really a cake group. It's a bunch of people who started out as a cake group, sort of, but after years of being in the group cake is an afterthought for most of what we post about. I don't think that most of us even do cakes on a regular basis anymore, so that isn't the focus of the group.

So if you belong to any cake groups you might want to think about what you're getting out of them. If they're useless to you, why are you participating? Would your time be better spent doing something else? If your answer is yes, go quit a couple of groups and see what happens. My guess is that the world will continue to turn and you might even have more time to do something that isn't a total time suck. (See reason number 1.)


Kara Buntin owns A Cake To Remember LLC,  online cake supplies at  www.acaketoremember.com and www.acaketoremember.etsy.com

No comments: