Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Craftsy Class Review: Building Better Cakes: Creative Cake Separators

Craftsy Cake Decorating ClassBuilding Better Cakes was taught by Marina Sousa, who started the class out with the statement that it doesn't matter how pretty your cake is if it's not standing. The things that I've seen online recently make me think that a lot of people could benefit from understanding that.

She goes over a few different ways to do separated tiers, including styrofoam risers, center poles, and asymmetrical structures. She stacks three different cakes with FULL instructions then decorates them, so there's plenty of time to take a nap, I mean, plenty of stuff to watch.

And yes, this class put me to sleep several times. But I've been cutting back on the caffeine so it's pretty easy to put me to sleep recently. It makes me wonder what I missed, though, because I'd nod off and when I woke up she was still doing the same thing. So I suspect that this class is the same as many other classes that show every step in excruciating detail, to the point of just stretching things out to fill in time.

She narrates every step thoroughly as well, which isn't a bad thing because it's good to hear the rationale of why she's doing something a certain way.

This class covers a lot of structural topics, which are easily transferable to other projects, so it's worth it for that alone if you're not strong on figuring out the structures. She also shows some different decorating techniques using molds to make the beads and a trellis-like structure that hides one of the tier separators.

And I'll say it again...the questions that people ask would make me lose all hope if I was the one who had to answer them.

My final review:

Skill level: Intermediate, you need to have a little experience to feel comfortable cantilevering a stacked cake.
Equipment you'll need: A lot. Lots of pipe, styrofoam, tools, etc. Check the class materials list before buying the class.
Sleep-Inducing Level: I give this one five sominex and a nyquil.
What it assumes you already know: How to fill and cover cakes, how to do basic stacking, some carpentry skills.
Unnecessary level of difficulty for techniques shown: Not a lot but there was some equipment that you could use stuff you have around your house for, so it was more of an unnecessary equipment thing.
Annoying Host Habits: Not much other than saying "heighth" instead of "height." And yes, I know it's supposedly a regional thing, but I maintain that it's not a real word.
Level of Helpful Hints Learned: A lot of information about securing tiers so that they won't fall over in transit.

Click here for my Craftsy pattern shop, which has a bunch of freebies in it: A Cake To Remember On Craftsy


Kara Buntin owns A Cake To Remember LLC,  online cake supplies at  www.acaketoremember.com and www.acaketoremember.etsy.com

No comments: