1. That super-original technique you thought of has already been done before.
2. That super-original design you thought of has already been done before.
3. Make sure that the large cake you're doing will fit through the door or into your car before you make it that big.
4. Purple fades. A lot.
5. Your idea of "coral" is not the customer's idea of "coral."
6. Never say "That's simple, it won't take long." That phrase guarantees that something will happen to make it take a long time.
7. When closing a bottle of airbrush color that has a snap top, point it away from you and into the sink when you snap it closed, or you'll have a polka dot shirt when it sprays tiny bits of color all over you.
8. Strawberry preserves is a slippery substance that causes much sliding of layers and gnashing of teeth.
9. Cakes that are set up outside on a hot day will melt. You're welcome.
10. Not everything is a technique. Sometimes you just do it and get on with it.
Kara Buntin owns A Cake To Remember LLC, online cake supplies at www.acaketoremember.com and www.acaketoremember.etsy.com