Sunday, November 1, 2015

Gelatin Lace For Cakes- Easy But Disgusting

I hate gelatin. I hate it with a passion and I try to avoid any kind of cake anything that's wiggly and gross like that. So until now I didn't want to deal with any of the cake lace/sugar veil kind of stuff that looked like it would be gelatin-y when it was ready to use. Gag me.

Then someone posted a recipe for a homemade version of an edible lace that the Edible Artist Network had posted, but which had left out the amount of gelatin to use, and I decided to try it to see what it would do. Here's the video, and the recipe is below:



Here's the recipe I used:

Gelatin Lace for Cake Decorating.

3 Tbsp cold water
1 tsp glycerine
a few drops of food coloring (gel or liquid)
1 Tbsp gelatin (I Tbsp is more than 1 package, use a spoon to measure it)

Mix the water, glycerine and food color, then stir the gelatin into it to mix well. It will set up like a pretty solid hunk of yuck. Let it sit for 5 minutes then heat it in the microwave for 15 seconds and stir it to combine. Spread it onto a lace mat or silicone molds and let it set up. It took mine 45 minutes at a cool room temperature, but the original recipe said to leave it for 3 hours or overnight. I assume that it just gets stiffer and less sticky as it dries out.

This set up really fast and I was able to take some of the items out in ten minutes (the little snowflakes.) After 45 minutes I was able to remove the lace strips and they held together fine in a disgusting, rubbery strip.

So give it a try if you need a quick lace and don't have any pre-made mix on hand. I'll skip it unless I have to use it, ugh.


Kara Buntin owns A Cake To Remember LLC,  online cake supplies at  www.acaketoremember.com and www.acaketoremember.etsy.com

2 comments:

G Pavao said...

Thanks for putting a smile on my face. Loved how you describe your disgust about gelatin. Funny thing is that I feel the same way. Every time I see a recipe (no matter how good it looks) that calls for gelatin, it's a pass for me. Thinking about how gelatin is made makes me want to gag. Yuck yuck yuck

Jason Stiles said...

Thanks for the recipe. I have not found gelatin to be disgusting, other than the lime green stuff my mother used to put canned pears in, or when she turned it into a "salad" by putting celery and shredded carrots in it. Now that's really Yuck! Just as an aside, I needed a jiggly bear that would not melt at very warn room temperatures for a "Candy Crush" game cake and found agar agar in an Asian grocery. You would find it even more disgusting than gelatin, but it made the cutest jiggly bear. Sometimes we have to suffer for our art. :)