Monday, February 22, 2016

What To Do With Extra Gumpaste

There will always be a little gumpaste left over in every project. Sometimes it's some weird color that you won't need again, but you don't want to waste it. So what do you do with the leftovers?

You can use it for anything that won't be seen:


I recently had someone ask me what the long orange thing I was using in my cigar video was. I told her that it was just extra gumpaste that I had left over. Since it's rolled up and covered by the outer layer, it doesn't matter what color it was.

I use leftover gumpaste to make all of the cones that I build my gumpaste roses on. It doesn't matter what color it is since it's going to be covered up by the petals. Bright purple? Neon green? No problem.

If any of the colors that you have left over are in the yellow family, make flower centers for future reference. I have a box full of daisy and calla centers made from random odds and ends of yellow gumpaste.

If you have a bunch of really weird colors, mix them together and add some brown food coloring, them make brown flower centers, branches, pinecones, etc. for future reference. Or make up a few hydrangeas, leaves or berries if you have colors that will work for that kind of thing. It might sound like a weird thing to do, but there have been times when I had to throw a display cake together and I was able to use all the extras and leftovers from previous cakes. Keep a box of that kind of stuff ready, you'd be surprised how useful it is.

Made with extra leaves and flowers.

If you do nothing else, throw the extra wrapped-up gumpaste that you have into a plastic baggie, seal it up, and stick it in the freezer. That way you can take it out and it will be usable months after you used it the first time.


Kara Buntin owns A Cake To Remember LLC, custom wedding cakes in Richmond VA, and cake supplies online at www.acaketoremember.biz and www.acaketoremember.etsy.com




No comments: