Sunday, March 27, 2016

Why Did Facebook Make Me A Business Page?

Well, here's another strange facebook thing. The "unofficial pages" that keep appearing.


Last year I found that someone had made a fake Facebook account for my business by taking pictures off of my actual business page and creating a page themselves. They had nothing to do with me, and I happened to stumble on it by mistake. That was really weird, and it took a lot of effort to convince Facebook that I hadn't created the page. I still don't know who did it, or what it would accomplish for them, but I have my suspicions.

This situation is a little different, and I'm not 100% sure why, but these random business listings keep showing up on Facebook for my business. I didn't create them, I didn't authorize them, and I have a feeling that they have something to do with those phone calls I keep getting from the Facebook area code where the robot tells me to "verify my listing" online.

Anyway, I found a place page that had been set up for my business yesterday and I just found another one today! What the heck? Today's page is shown above, and the one from yesterday was pretty much the same thing.

These are easier to get rid of though...You just click on the "is this your business" link at the right, then follow the instructions to claim the page. Once they send you an email verifying that they did identify your account as the owner of the business, you can go to the settings page for that particular page and delete it. Or you can merge the page with your current business page if you prefer to not take a chance on deleting your actual business page by accident.

I deleted the one that I found yesterday, so I don't know what would happen if you merged the place page with your business page. Just be very careful that the page that you're deleting is the right one! If the fake page and your actual page have the same name you don't want to delete your real business page!

To see if any weird pages are lurking around for your business, do a search for your business name in the search box. Also try variations like your business name with no spaces between the words, or with spaces between only one or two words. The impostor page that I found last year had no spaces between the words...


Kara Buntin owns A Cake To Remember LLC, custom wedding cakes in Richmond VA, and cake supplies online at www.acaketoremember.biz and http://www.acaketoremember.etsy.com/



No comments: