Wednesday, March 29, 2017

The Best Business Advice I Ever Received

The worst business advice I ever heard was all about the pricing, but the best wasn't about the mechanics of the business at all. Well, not really. It was more about the reality of having a local business when I was doing wedding cakes.

When I started doing wedding cakes in Richmond, I was relatively new to the area and I didn't know much about how to start getting my feet wet. I don't remember how I set it up, but I contacted a local photographer and asked if I could ask her some general questions about the wedding industry in town.

She was nice enough to get together with me, and that was the most valuable meeting I'd ever had with anyone. She basically gave me the lay of the land when it came to what to do to get my name out, what not to bother doing, and where to get started. It was all locally-based information, nothing like "post on Facebook ten times a day" or "put an ad in The Knot." (Facebook wasn't around back then anyway, but you get the point.) It was advice that was specific to the wedding market that we were in, not generalities that may or may not have worked.

I'd suggest that if you're starting out, or even if you're not starting out, but you want to get a new perspective, that you find someone whose business parallels yours somehow. Whether it's another wedding professional in the same area, or another cake designer in a different city (or both), find another professional who's willing to clue you in. It doesn't have to be a formal mentor type arrangement, but it will be worthwhile.



Kara Buntin owns A Cake To Remember LLC,  online cake supplies at  www.acaketoremember.com and www.acaketoremember.etsy.com

No comments: